4 replies to this topic

#1 Alex The Fish Hunter

Alex The Fish Hunter

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, Ontario

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:36 AM

Well last Saturday a group of us decided to hit a new lake after some research on stocking numbers. My buddy and I have seen this lake before on our travels and seen people ice fish it so had a bit of an idea where to start drilling holes. We all meet up at Timmies for a coffee for the road at 5am so we could be on the ice before the sun came up.

We hit the road and started our 1 and half hour drive north. The more also throw us a bit of snow so road were not the greatest and visibility was not good but that was not going to stop us. We hit the area to park and walk to the lake way before the sun would be coming up. Lucky someone had a light so we could see the trail to the lake. We looked around first to see if there was any previously drilled hole to give us an idea where people be fishing. After doing this we started to drill a bunch of hole so start fishing. Sun was still not up so had to drill by flashlight.

Once the sun was start to come up and we could see a bit better. We started a fire at shore to be able to warm us up between fishing time. Lines were put in and the wait started. I landed the first fish of the day around 7:30 or 8am. Not sure as can not remember at this time. We had a friend who had surgery and asked us if we could take his some fishing as he will be recovering for the next year and wanted to make sure his son got out. We were glad to help him out with that. We were also able to get his son on his first splake which is a great feeling. He ended out being the first one to limit out on splake. Was catching them faster then we were.

It was a great adventure as we had moose sausage cooked of the fire that was made. We called it a day by 2pm as splake usually slow down. By the end of the day, between 7 people we landed a total of about 23 splake. For a first time out on this lake have to say it was a good day even thou it was a chilly day.

This lake will be for sure on the list to hit again this winter.  

Fishing is not an adventure, it's my life.

#2 oldphart

oldphart

5 Stars

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

~~~~Great report bud, haven't been out yet. I go under the knife in Feb for a new knee

~~~~~OOPS sorry were you down wind of me

#3 Alex The Fish Hunter

Alex The Fish Hunter

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

~~~~Great report bud, haven't been out yet. I go under the knife in Feb for a new knee

Ya I've been out a few times. Been hitting a bunch of mechanical issues with my sled and auger. Got the sled all fixed up now but need to get things working with my auger. Luck one of the guys I fish with also has an auger so we have backups. Hope your operation goes well and for a speedy recovery.

#4 K.C.

K.C.

5 Stars

• Members
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationMarkham

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

23 Splake is a great day any way you cut it.  I've never targeted or caught one before.Is there any size to them?

Bill good luck with your knee surgery.  My mother in-law had both replaced and now she's walking like a champ.  My father is scheduled for April.

Hooksets are free.

#5 Alex The Fish Hunter

Alex The Fish Hunter

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:24 AM

23 Splake is a great day any way you cut it.  I've never targeted or caught one before.Is there any size to them?

Bill good luck with your knee surgery.  My mother in-law had both replaced and now she's walking like a champ.  My father is scheduled for April.

The lake we were fishing in has crazy stocking numbers. The average size of the splake we were laking was 13 to 14 inches with some bigger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name