3 replies to this topic

#1 Alex The Fish Hunter

Alex The Fish Hunter

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, Ontario

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

So, news came out a few days ago that Garmin purchased Navionics. Wonder if this is going to be a good thing or a bad thing. Got to wonder if Garmin is going to just make their units be able to read the maps.

I hope that they still allow units like Humminbird will still be able to read and update Navionics as I have the chip for my Helix 5.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Fishing is not an adventure, it's my life.

#2 K.C.

K.C.

5 Stars

• Members
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationMarkham

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:10 AM

I think your first question was the answer.  They want to sell more Garmin units so Navionic chips will help that for the short term.

This being said I also believe that Smartphones will make traditional GPS/fishfinder/mapping units a thing of the past.  For minimal $$$ per year you can get almost anything you need on your phone and every year its the most up to date version.  I paid hundreds of dollars for my Navionics Gold chip years ago not including the price of my H20 GPS.  What a waste looking back now with the new tech.available.  Now I only use it because of my waypoints.

Hooksets are free.

#3 Alex The Fish Hunter

Alex The Fish Hunter

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, Ontario

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:03 AM

I think smartphones will be working together with fish finders more in the future for sure. The only reason I would not be buying update packages for Navonics is the fact that the accuracy up in the northern lakes is not that great. Not enough people recording sonar readings to help update.

Fishing is not an adventure, it's my life.

#4 K.C.

K.C.

5 Stars

• Members
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationMarkham

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:17 AM

Not sure what the app on my phone is now but last I looked (2-3 years ago) it was roughly $20 for a year of Navionics.  IMO its way cheaper in the long run and much more convenient vs dragging my GPS with me with 2 AA batteries.

I think with the PLUS sized phones 7+ 8+ 10X Samsung 8, etc, it has a much bigger screen and much more clarity with colour vs my antiquated handheld GPS unit.  Rain damage and cost of the phone ($600-$1000) itself would be the only drawback vs a $300-$400 handheld unit which is much more waterproof and durable especially when ice fishing.

My H20 unit has been bullet proof but its super slow when zooming in and out and with my eyesight going south the smartphone is a better option for me.  Just need to be extra careful.

Hooksets are free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name