1 reply to this topic

#1 D-Wayne

D-Wayne

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:29 AM

I just got back from a bucket list trip that a friend drove my boat and I to. A Bass Cat Boat owner's inventational that was on the historic Guntersville lake in Alabama. The weather was awesome well almost too awesome for us northern boys. Going from 9c to 32c was a bit of an adjustment. When we left the sky's opened up a the cool rains of 16c felt nice.
An awesome place to stay is the Guntersville State Park lodge. The views were spectacular.
The Guntersville lake however is a different story. Seems that the local cottagers with their multi million dollar cottages want to be able to run their boats and jet skies every where without running into any aquatic vegetation. Instead of using mechanical cutters like we are use to seeing up here they spray broad leaf herbicides. But only in strategic areas they say. A map i found shows the approved sprayed areas and it covers most of the shoreline with some larger target zones around flats.
So guess what we found when we got out on the lake.... ick. If I had known that the lake was in this condition I would have taken the trip off my list for sure.
All the locals talked about days gone by. But non would say anything about the spraying, they would just lower their heads in discuss.
Maybe one day someone will explain to the rich lobbiest's that there is a simple equation here.... no weeds = no fish
The quality of the lake is so poor that I refused to go swimming even though the water was 78 to 80f. There was a filmy feel to the lake and a bit of decay smell. I don't even want to think about what it is like in July... I guess boating is far more important than having plants filter and clean the water.

Thats my ramble
In a nut shell the scenery is spectacular the lake is dead
Help preserve our fishing legacy , practice fishing CPR
"Catch, Picture, & Release"

#2 oldphart

oldphart

5 Stars

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

~~~Some people just don't understand or care, that we all are apart of the environment, and what we do to it causes long term damage

~~~~~OOPS sorry were you down wind of me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name