• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldphart

oldphart

5 Stars

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

~~~If possible don't do it, each spring I take a good look at the crack in my bow plate, it's about 14" long right at the curve just at the point where it meets the keel, I have to jack the boat up to get enough room to work on it. I've tried most of JB Weld products, and was going to try that Flex Seal Liquid Rubber. Welding it, came to mind, you can get welding rods for tinnies, and with a Butane Torch heat up the boat, and weld on a bead. but I'm getting to old to crawl around. So I thought I pull up the front deck and take a look down below. Boy what a pain, all the screws had glue, and carpet fibers, and years of dirt, and using a Philips, some took over 30 min. of clearing them and then find the heads were almost worn where the screw driver couldn't grasp, had to use a small vice grip to lock on and turn them out, right now I'm down to the last 2 screws I think. Come Saturday I'll be trying to get these two out hopefully, then I'll decide either to dump the Liquid Rubber into the area and let it seep through, and let it set, or clean the area and take the boat, and get it welded

~~~~~OOPS sorry were you down wind of me

#2 K.C.

K.C.

5 Stars

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationMarkham

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

Bill I've got some Hull issues as well.  A few loose rivets and one of my strakes (the front of it) is cracked and starting to peel back.

I'm going to sand everything down and use JB weld.  If it doesn't last I doubt it will I might consider welding but people have advised me against it as the aluminum supposedly becomes brittle around the weld.  Don't know how true this is.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Hooksets are free.

#3 Yankee

Yankee

5 Stars

• Moderators
  • 2,440 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

During a long ruff drive down a 4 mile trial in northern Ontario I busted several

rivets. I used JB Weld for a temp fix and it's been fine every since. It works.

#4 oldphart

oldphart

5 Stars

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

~~~~I have found that JB Weld is great for small repairs, but with my crack, and some much stress in that area. it becomes flakey, and will come off in your hand. Going to sand down the area on the outside, and clean the area for welding, just need to find someone who knows how to weld

#5 D-Wayne

D-Wayne

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:03 AM

A good welding shop will set it right
Help preserve our fishing legacy , practice fishing CPR
"Catch, Picture, & Release"

#6 oldphart

oldphart

5 Stars

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

~~~~Called around to a few places, one was a mobile unit cost roughly $325. and another in Bowmanville about $200.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name