8 replies to this topic

#1 K.C.

K.C.

5 Stars

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationMarkham

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

Hey guys.  I have a BPS Blue cloth boat cover that has been covering my boat for the last 3 years in storage.  It's been stored outside with another canvas/plastic tarp over it.  I just brought my boat home after 3 years of non use.

Can anyone suggest a way to clean it without completely ruining it?  It's now sitting in my driveway and the neighborhood is looking at me funny.

It's not in terrible shape but the green and brown stains are a real eyesore.  If you can offer me some advise to save it, it would be greatly appreciated.

The fabric is slightly worn but no holes yet.

I'll add pictures later so you can get a better idea of what it looks like.  Both before and after.  Thanks.

Hooksets are free.

#2 oldphart

oldphart

5 Stars

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

~~~Large wash tub we had when we were small, with lots of hot water, and a cup of bleach stir well. then put cover in, dunk it up and down, to make sure it gets soaked all through, then rince in clean water, and then hang it out side to dry in the wind. won't remove the stains, but will kill the mold and mildew

~~~~~OOPS sorry were you down wind of me

#3 D-Wayne

D-Wayne

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

carpet steam cleaner???
Help preserve our fishing legacy , practice fishing CPR
"Catch, Picture, & Release"

#4 stinger

stinger

5 Stars

• Moderators
  • 3,587 posts
  • LocationGTA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

You could try washing it in an extra large laundry machine at a coin laundry,

vinegar kills mold and smell and its safe to use, oxi-clean is another choice but not sure if it will get rid of stains, SHOUT is another choice for stain removing,

Don't use too much detergent, it attracts more dirt after the wash.

If you do get it clean, treat it with some water repellent like Camp Dry or similar product.

Posted Image
If a man speaks in the woods, miles from the nearest woman...is he still wrong?

#5 K.C.

K.C.

5 Stars

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationMarkham

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the advise guys.

I ended up going to a coin operated car wash.  Tarp was pulled nice and snug over the boat and between gently and quickly using the foaming brush and powerwashing it on the rinse cycle it got much better.  The powerwashing definetely left some colour streaking in the blue dye on the tarp but it's 100% better then what it was.  Now I need to find some sort of water proofing spray to re-apply.  Stinger, where can I purchase the Camp Dry?  Is this a similar product as Scotch Guard?

Hooksets are free.

#6 stinger

stinger

5 Stars

• Moderators
  • 3,587 posts
  • LocationGTA

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Camp Dry is a water repellent spray, designed for tents, canvas and shoes etc,  I think I got it from Walmart (shoes dept), lebarons also carries a few other similar products in their camping dept.

Mountain Equipment Co-Op is another good place for many other choices in water repellent products, 

Apply it while the cover is still clean for the best results, follow the instructions, don't apply too much in one application or let it pool in some places, do at least 2 or 3 coats and let it dry in between coats.

BTW, There is a new product called " NeverWet " in USA, from what see on their video demo it looks amazing, but I don't think its available in Canada yet.

Check these videos, pretty amazing shite  :lol:

Posted Image
If a man speaks in the woods, miles from the nearest woman...is he still wrong?

#7 K.C.

K.C.

5 Stars

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationMarkham

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Wow, that product looks incredible!

Hooksets are free.

#8 Yankee

Yankee

5 Stars

• Moderators
  • 2,440 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:24 AM

Camp Dry sucks and I used 8 cans on my Sea Ray top. Didn't do anything and a waste of money. Try this one instead....works!

http://www.cabelas.c...rproofing Spray

#9 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

5 Stars

• Members
  • 4,366 posts
  • LocationPhysically in Toronto, mentally in Hawaii!!!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

A little late...but...

We use bleach in the lab to kill contamination to cultures. Bacteria, yeast, mold...nothing stands against bleach. Concentration does matter though...you want high enough concentration to kill mold, but not strong enough to bleach that boat cover's dye off. Since we're aiming for max kill, I just pour bleach into a petri dish of contaminated cells until I felt it's good enough...maybe 5ml into a 20ml volume of culture media...which makes the final concentration 20% (20% of household bleach...not pure sodium hypochlorite...household bleach is already diluted to 3-8% before it hits the shelf). At that concentration, our media which contains Phenol Red (a pH indicator) eventually gets degraded and the media turns clear in the end. I usually use the clearing of media colour as a sign that the bleach had done it's job and the comtamination has been clear and I can dispose the culture safely without spreading it.

I hate to quote Wiki...but...

http://en.wikipedia....um_hypochlorite

"A 1-in-5 dilution of household bleach with water (1 part bleach to 4 parts water) is effective against many bacteria and some viruses, and is often the disinfectant of choice in cleaning surfaces in hospitals (primarily in the United States). The solution is corrosive and needs to be thoroughly removed afterwards, so the bleach disinfection is sometimes followed by an ethanol disinfection. Liquids containing sodium hypochlorite as the main active component are also used for household cleaning and disinfection, for example toilet cleaners.[13] Some cleaners are formulated to be thick so as not to drain quickly from vertical surfaces, such as the inside of a toilet bowl."

Just to say that it's basically what we do in the lab with contaminations.

But you probably want to use less bleach if you don't want the cover to fade into other colours. Even at lower concentration it should kill mold...may just take a longer soaking. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area if you aim for higher concentration. :wink:

http://muskiebaitadv...es.blogspot.ca/

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 387 species and counting...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name