3 replies to this topic

#1 D-Wayne

D-Wayne

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Seems that the little lakes that are close to our cottage has some good sized Brooke Trout.

I have fished them before but only with others who knew the lakes that we were on. I have never been on these bodies of water and I don't know them at all.

Any suggestions or advice on how I should go about breaking down the lake for the brooke trout?
What type of shore structure or shape would be best to focus on?
How deep/shallow should I target?
Is the sunny north shore more productive than the shaded south shore?
Any lures better to have?

Thanks for any assistance.

Dwayne
Help preserve our fishing legacy , practice fishing CPR
"Catch, Picture, & Release"

#2 Alex The Fish Hunter

Alex The Fish Hunter

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, Ontario

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

I would go in the 6 to 15 feet mark. I fished small lakes and did not matter what side to fish. Start at one spot and just move around if the bit seems slow. The fish will circle the lake all day long. Use smaller hooks. I have to use artificial bait as the lakes I do my brook fishing do not allow live minnows. If used Power bait 3" trout worms and some small waxies.
Fishing is not an adventure, it's my life.

#3 D-Wayne

D-Wayne

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

thanks Alex....
I might get out this weekend as the storm made it a bit too messy to get out there today :-{

ANy other lures ot style you like. Jig fast or just give it the "Sexy and I know it wiggle wiggle wiggle" ????
Help preserve our fishing legacy , practice fishing CPR
"Catch, Picture, & Release"

#4 Alex The Fish Hunter

Alex The Fish Hunter

5 Stars

• Members
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, Ontario

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:44 AM

thanks Alex....
I might get out this weekend as the storm made it a bit too messy to get out there today :-{

ANy other lures ot style you like. Jig fast or just give it the "Sexy and I know it wiggle wiggle wiggle" ????

What I used was a Swedish Pimple, either green or yellow will work, small EGB spoon. I would jig with tiny movements. I try to position my bait about a few inches off the ground. Trout will move up to hit the bait from the bottom as this gives them room to hit the bait. I tip my hook with either Berkley's floating trout worm (Fluorescent Orange) or Glub waxies (pink). You can also use plastic maggot. Next time I'm out, I'm going to try to use small tubes on a jig.

Good luck!
Fishing is not an adventure, it's my life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 Your Company Name